Saturday, February 21, 2009




Hello Everyone!
Welcome to the Cot Couture blog. Thought it might be nice to share some of my new ideas, experiences, favourite designers and new fabrics with you on a regular basis.

My name is Jessica and I am a Mum to two little boys - Dillan 4, and Logan, nearly 2, and wife to my hubby of 7 years Jason.

I have been running the Cot Couture wesite for over a year now and love it! The business was born in my head on the exercise bike (of all places) and a year down the track has given me alot of happiness and I have met some wonderful people along the way.

I am trained as a primary school teacher, taught a wonderful year 4-7 class at Tarlee PS for 5 years, and then once Dillan was born became a stay at home Mum. I enjoyed teaching, but didn't have a passion for it to continue, plus I wanted to be home with my boys.

I had always wanted to be a fashion designer right from when I was young. I remember when I was in primary school I created a 20 page book of models and fashions - sort of like a fashion show in a book I suppose! When the time came to pursue a career path, fashion designing wasn't as assessible here in Adelaide, and I had to go to Melbourne to pursure it. That teamed with the fact that I couldn't draw didn't help. So I did the next practical thing and went into teaching like my Dad.

When Dilly was 6 months I decided I wanted to sew. I went down to Spotlight and Mum watched Dilly for 2 hours while I learnt to make him some overalls! I loved picked out the fabric and just being able to sew made me happy. Sewing clothing was hard, but I loved sewing cushions and blankets, so I did a bit of that. I found some wonderful fabrics online, which I imported a little at a time, and I was chuffed the day I saw one of my fabrics on the cover of Vogue Interiors done as a cushion - just like I had done 2 months prior!
As like most Mums we become busy and the sewing stopped for a while, and the concentration went onto other things.

Anyway a year later, when I was pregnant with Logan, I searched for modern baby bedding that would suit my needs. I had already done the cute baby stuff with Dillan, and I knew they just outgrow it so fast, so I wanred to decorate Logan's room in a more contemporary style.

That was hard! I searched and searched everywhere to find what I needed, but what I got really wasn't what I wanted. I remembered the fabrics I used to get and went and looked for them again. What I found was wonderful. I made up a gorgeous room and I loved it.

In Novemeber 07, on my exercise bike, I had an idea. "Why can't I create modern baby bedding for other Mums like me?" There was no reason why I couldn't, but I needed some help too. I did a lot of research, many phonecalls and a couple of months later Cot Couture was born on the web.
My gorgeous Mum helps me wash fabric, and comes along to the Pregnancy, Babies and Children's Expos that I do. We have so much fun together.
I have a wonderful sewing assistant who helps me create the comforters (she is awesome at what she does), and I have a great web designer who I clog up his email with new additions to the site. Sorry Andrew! here is his site if you are interested - www.designer-images.net

So there you have it. I have so many gorgeous fabrics that I am currently creating into comforters and pillows and stay tuned in the next few weeks on here and my site to see them.

Chat soon,
Jess




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.